Saturday, May 17, 2008

Betsy's here

Betsy has arrived. Most reading this will know who she is. But for those of you who don't, she's an incredibly cute and spirited 20 year old college student from Tulsa who grew up in Asbury's youth group. She was in 8th grade when I started my job at Asbury. (I won't say that makes me feel old because everyone says that and I'm not old anyway!)

Her arrival has sparked many new things. One, a change of seasons. It's been a dry one around here for quite a while. But God promises rain, and the slow shower of big wet raindrops has begun. I've come to love the daily sound of slow rain here, and the sensory experience of hearing and smelling those first few seconds of fat rain drops hitting the tin roofs aptly describes the emotional, spiritual, and mental experience of this time in my life. We've finally begun to settle in and know our way around. Ariel is growing more independent. My schoolwork is almost complete. The band is experiencing an explosion of performance opportunities. And I am easing my way back into a season of learning, composing, and performing music. Something I really haven't done since college. It's like being in that rain shower, taking a deep breath and smelling the earthy wet beginning of spring.

Betsy's arrival has also brought other things to the surface. I've realized that I hang around guys. A lot. In fact, most of play and work time in my adult life has been in mostly male company. Guys are great fun and quite weird. Which makes me laugh. But, in that environment, I forget to pay attention to the small things of being a woman. Then Betsy walks in. She passes by smelling of perfume. Painted nails, and clean hair. And it inspires me. It awakens something asleep inside. And I find myself taking a little longer in the shower.

Another blessing of her presence is the pair of fresh eyes she brings. She is seeing this place for the first time. She is experiencing the adventure of it. And feeling the reality of it's disparity. And as we talk about what she's seeing and feeling, it brings a balance to Geoff and I's cynicism and a hope of Glory that, in our hearts, had fallen under a shadow of the poverty we witness everyday.

So, all that to say...the rain has come. And it feels good. I'm looking forward to what the summer brings.

No comments: