Sunday, April 19, 2009

obedience vs. sacrifice

Something that I've been thinking about lately is obedience vs. sacrifice. Those are not always opposing ideas. Sometimes obedience IS to sacrifice. And, in general, this is how I've usually viewed it.

Living here, in a place where people have substantially less than the average American, I am often struggling with, "am I doing enough...should I have given more...what can I do to make this better...?" And honestly, it gets tiring. Not my willingness to give. But my uncertainty in how to. Because oftentimes, even though people are asking for physical gifts, its not what they really need...and other times, it is. And its hard to know the difference. Every time I step out my door, even to do the most menial of task or errand, I am barraged with circumstances of need. Beggars with their outstretched hands. Friends in need of a favor. Merchants hoping you'll pay more. Or just folks that have no idea that I exist. But I see them. And I see their condition. So, needless to say, the feeling to sacrifice for their sakes, often becomes an intense emotion. And since I can't do it all, I'm often left feeling disgruntled, guilty, and ashamed.

This is where the story diverges from my usual view of obedience is to sacrifice. Because in recent days, I've realized that the feelings of guilt and shame for not doing enough are not God's doing, but my own. I've recognized a root of pride that, even in my attempts to be selfless, is threatening to send its shoots to the surface, showing my motivations as false and selfish. In other words, yes, I grieve that people around me are lacking. And thats a good thing. But I don't like the part of me that seeks to "look good" in my acts of service toward them. Sometimes, I feel guilty because of what others will think. What they'll say, and how they'll judge...the rich American who has so much and gives so little.

In 1 Samuel. Saul is dethroned because of his disobedience. And what was it that he did? He kept the fattest animals to sacrifice to God when God had told him to kill them all. You see what I mean? The sacrifice was FOR God. And yet it was disobedience to do it. Why? Two reasons that I can see...1. simply because God said not to...and that should be enough reason right there. 2. because he wasn't sacrificing in God's name. Ultimately, he was sacrificing in his own name. The sin of Abel. "See, look what I've done for you, God! Aren't I great?!" And that is where my path crosses Saul's.

Thinking through this has brought me some relief. And freedom. Because I am no longer chained by my guilt of not doing enough. But freed by my desire to do whatever God tells me to. And not worry about the rest.

For me, right now, this is how it plays out...God is asking me to take this time to jump in with both feet into the Word, meditate on it, soak it in, and deepen my understanding of Him. He's wanting to heal me, comfort me, and nourish me. This takes time. Literally. And I am fighting it. Because in my mind, I should be sacrificing my time to help with every need that arises (and there are a lot!). Not spending hours alone, away from the world, listening to His voice!

Another way it plays out is motherhood. I recognize that this is the only chance I get to spend the days with Ariel. By the time we relocate back to the U.S., she will be in school. And our schedules will be full and her influences many. Now is the time to cherish the hours of play and the opportunities for teaching. Because it won't always be this easy.

I'm not throwing away God's command to go and make disciples. Instead, I have a sense that the fruit of my time spent with Him will be an awareness and a wisdom to know how to meet the needs of those around me in ways that I could not comprehend before. And the time spent with my daughter will be an investment both in the lives of those who are watching and in the future.

And above all, in my obedience, I will get the chance to know the Wonder of all Wonders in new and deeper ways. And I won't be able to keep myself from telling others what I have seen.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Thank you for writing such a vulnerable post. I can definately identify with it--as I'm sure many others can. It reminds me of Mary & Martha...and how learning to obey comes from being like Mary and listening to the Master first, instead of frantically running around like Martha trying to serve in ways the Lord hasn't asked us to. May God help us to see the difference. I say 'Amen' to your post, Erica. :)