Monday, March 2, 2009

dog meat

Well, I thought I was going to have a great story to post today. I went to a birthday party where on the table was a barbecued animal that looked suspiciously like a dog. Knowing the rumors of dog eating in this country, I wasn't too surprised but actually a little excited to be "living on the edge" and eating something I would never dream of trying in a normal life. The host of the party went on to explain that they actually raise dogs on farms for this purpose. So, with courage, I cut off a sliver and stuck it in my mouth. It actually tasted quite good! But I wasn't going back for seconds.

However, I soon found out it was just a joke and my dreams of telling my great grandkids about eating Filipino mutt died away. It was a goat. Haha! Its amazing how this little bit of information changed my willingness to go back for seconds :)

So, there you have it. My story about not eating dog in the Philippines.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

We were expecting to be presented with dog meat when we were in China and never found it. I think we were naive to think anyone would serve it to tourists, but we wanted a great story about that too. Remember the "blood" we ate at the Filipino Rest. in Tulsa? Had any more of that? I think I was the only one of us who didn't like it though.

Unknown said...

well, i read your blog backwards, and see you did post for March. can i site baby brains as the reason for my silliness? :) hmm, dog meat. i've had horse, crocodile, alligator, kangaroo, turtle, but no dog. you are a brave soul. speaking of being a brave soul, are you ready for your in-laws to visit?????

Betsy Murphy said...

well i mean..goat is still a little weird..how often to you have goat meat here? i mean..lamb, yeah..goat's milk..yeah..but goat meat? i don't know..not dog..but not completely unadventurous :)