Thursday, November 27, 2008

it's official

I just got back from teaching a class on Ethnomusicology for the very first time. I was excited to get the experience and also a little nervous because I'm not usually the one in front of people. I'm the one in back with the two year old. So, I traveled 4 hours to a place called Nasuli, a training facility owned by SIL where decades of work has gone on to translate the Bible into local languages. It was a beautiful and peaceful place and I felt honored to be on ground representing the legacy of sacrifice so many people had made so that the Gospel could be understood. It was the first time I was officially introduced to a crowd of people as an Ethnomusicologist. When I got up there to teach, I actually had something to say and knew somewhat what I was talking about. (For some reason this surprised me!) It was really encouraging because I was also able to meet with small groups of translators who had questions about how they could encourage indigenous music in their areas, and I was excited to be able to help them with ideas. Anyway, as someone just starting out in the field, it was a good feeling to be finally away from the books and into my "official" role.

A lot of people were concerned about me taking on this part time "job" while raising Ariel, but honestly, it has been the best thing for our family. It has given me the opportunity to make an impact outside my home as well as inside, and neither one has suffered. In fact, both are healthier because of the balance. Geoff is a willing tag team partner in caring for Ariel, and Ariel has blossomed under the guidance from both parents on a daily basis.

So, its been good.

Here's a pic of some of my students (they were from all over SE Asia, USA, and Switzerland):

The view along the way:

And finally, me at 2am before class day still trying to fit 2 years worth of course work into 4 hours of teaching!


In the coming year, I'm coordinating 3 projects, one as a co-leader in Thailand, one in Mongolia, and one right here in my city. I'm blessed to be only 30 years old and doing exactly what I dream of. God is good.

No comments: