Monday, March 17, 2008

Today, I had my first lesson on the Kulintang. As an effort to get involved in the local traditional arts (and to meet the very last credit requirement of my degree!) I am learning to play this instrument. It took me a month just to find a teacher, but I met many interesting musicians along the way, so it was worth it. My teacher now is a young guy in university. The instrument is part of a larger ensemble of gongs and drums. The cool part is that these musicians and the tribes they are a part of understand whole conversations through this music. The pitches and rhythms match their language. Of course, I've only had one lesson, so I'm not able to say much yet :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love this. Very beautiful. We don't get to hear varieties of instruments in this country. I realized when we traveled to China that there is a whole world of instruments and sounds out there that we have never heard. Thanks for sharing one with us!